Friday, 28 February 2014

Review: February Glossybox - Valentines Box

I'm new to the whole subscription beauty box scene, but after hearing a lot of good things from friends, I decided to take the plunge and try my first box. I ordered the February edition of Glossybox, which also happens to be extra special as it is Valentine's Day themed.

Glossybox is a monthly subscription beauty box which costs £10 plus £2.95 p&p. Every month you will receive a box of 4 or 5 different samples to try from a range of brands.

First Impressions



The packaging is just gorgeous. Arriving home to find this lovely looking box definitely feels like an indulgent treat, and the black shredded tissue and ribbon are cute touches which add to the feeling of luxury.
One thing to bear in mind is the size of the box, it won't fit through a letterbox.

Now, onto the main event, the samples!

Nougat London Sparkling Body Shimmer - Cherry Blossom



RRP: £14 (per 250ml bottle) from Nougat London

I LOVE this sample!
The first thing I noticed upon opening this bottle was the gorgeous delicately sweet and floral scent, it is remarkably similar to the cherry blossom range of products by L'Occitane (which I also adore).

This product leaves a beautiful shimmer which sparkles under light and will look great used on the décolletage area and on the front of your legs.  I think I will save this to take on holiday with me as I can imagine it looking great with a tan.

Easy to apply and dries quickly, which is great if you are impatient like me! Another great thing about this body shimmer is that it is not tested on animals. Also available in Tuberose & Jasmine, Fig & Pink Cedar and Peony scents.

Ciate Paint Pot - Cocktail Dress


RRP: £9 from Ciate

After seeing a spoiler about this nail paint being included I was super excited because I have read many rave reviews about Ciate products. I am very happy to report, I was not disappointed!

First of all, how cute is the bottle?? Functional as well as attractive, the bottle is a curved shape that means the bottle is easier to hold as you paint your nails.

The positives: easy to apply, quick drying time, fully opaque after second coat and my manicure lasted 5 days before chipping, which is a record for me.
The only negative will be my bank balance now I have seen the hundreds of beautiful colours available on their website!

The colour picker on the website is great fun, after browsing the different combinations of colours I have decided to order "It's Haute In Here", "Fit For A Queen", "Headliner" and "Monte Carlo".

Maybelline ColorSensational Stripped Nudes Lipstick - Coffee Craze


RRP: £6.99 from Boots

I don't often buy nude lipsticks so I was pleased to receive this sample to try. However, the colour, a light brown, really does not suit my skintone but I like the creamy, easy to apply formula so I plan to experiment by blending this lipstick with a pink or red colour to see if I can find a use for it.

The formula allows for a smooth application, but I do recommend you apply with a brush because otherwise it may be too dark. The website advertises the fact the lipstick contains natural oils and you can see evidence of this in the texture of the product; it glides on so easily. Also, this has a pleasant vanilla scent. I noticed the colour fading after about 2 hours, so frequent application is needed.

Overall, a nice product, I just wish I had received a different colour, I have my eye on  the Naked Brown and Tantalising Taupe versions.

Eldora Handmade Lashes



RRP: £4.95 from Eldora

I haven't tried many brands of false eyelashes because I don't like the OTT effect of most but I think these have a much more natural look to them. I'll write a better review once I have actually tried these, but one positive that does stand out to me is the fact they are reusable if treated with care.

Giovanni 2Chic Collection


Including samples of:
Giovanni 2chic Brazilian Keratin & Argan Oil Ultra-Sleek Shampoo 241ml
Giovanni 2chic Brazilian Keratin & Argan Oil Ultra-Sleek Conditioner 8.5oz
Giovanni 2chic Brazilian Keratin & Argan Oil Leave-in Conditioner Elixir 113ml

RRP: £7.99 each product

I have really long hair (lower back length) so hair care is important to me. I know most of the hair on my head will probably be there for about 10 years, so I am always on the lookout for products that will keep my hair in good condition and looking healthy.

I found this range made my hair shiny and soft, which is always great. These products have a lovely coconut scent which lingers for a few hours.

If these products were cheaper I would definitely buy the full sized product to try them again, so I will be looking out for any offers and discounts.


Overall


I would give this box 6/10. I loved the body shimmer and nail paint, look forward to using the eyelashes but was disappointed with the colour of the lipstick and the very small size of the sample of conditioners. I can't wait till next month to receive my next box. ♥

What do you think of these products? Or did you receive different samples in your box? Let me know in the comments below!

Sophie xx