Monday, 24 March 2014

NOTD: Geometric Sparkle


First of all, please excuse the messy bits, I only had a couple of minutes before I needed to leave so in my rush I ended up taking the photo before tidying up my nails.




Here's what I used for these nails:

The best thing about this look is you can you any combination of colours for the square pattern - complimentary, contrasting or checkerboard anyone?

Starting from the left, clockwise:
  • Cheeky Chat Me Up Nail Paint - Tongue & Cheek
  • Constance Carroll Diamond Gloss - Neon Lime
  • Rimmel I Love Lasting Finish - Azure
  • Rimmel I Love Lasting Finish - Hot Tropicana
  • Barry M Nail Paint - Grey Cream
  • Technic Sparkle
  • Wet n Wild Top Coat
  • Striping tape (you can but this for pennies on Amazon)
  • Gold rectangle studs from eBay
  • Silver ultrafine holographic glitter from eBay


For the square pattern on my thumb and ring nails:

  1. First step for most manicures - base coat! (which incidentally I have forgotten to include in the photo, but I'm sure you all have plenty of base coats since they are so important for a great mani!)
  2. Apply your chosen base colour. I chose a dark grey. For this pattern, either very dark (black, grey etc) or white works best. Make sure your nails are totally dry before moving on to the next step else the tape will rip that lovely colour you have just painstakingly applied right off.
  3. Apply pieces of striping tape to create horizontal stripes across your nail.. Try to keep them evenly spaced and make sure the tape is completely stuck down - you don't want the paint to run and ruin the crisp lines. Then do the same again, this time creating vertical stripes.
  4. Right, it is important to work quickly from here. Carefully use your selection of colours (I used pink, orange, green and blue) to fill in the square spaces created by the striping tape. If the brush is too wide, try using a dotting tool. 
  5. As soon as you have finished painting the squares, remove the tape. Make sure you remove the tape in the reverse order to how you applied it.
  6. Wait for everything to dry then use a top coat to protect your lovely patterned nails!


For the design on my index and middle fingers:

  1. Base coat
  2. Apply colour - can be the same as you used for the square pattern or a complimentary colour
  3. I applied a sparkle coat, but next time I would just use a clear top coat for a simpler look.
  4. While the top coat is still wet, apply studs. Originally I placed these horizontally and they looked really cute, but becasue they are rectangular they don't fit flsuh against the curve of my nail and kept falling off. :(
  5. Finish everything off with a top coat. Be careful as top coats can sometimes take the colour off some makes of studs.


This is my favourite part of this design. I love glitter and will always find an excuse to use it.

  1. Base coat (as always)
  2. Apply chosen colour 
  3. While paint is still wet, cover the nail with glitter and gently press the glitter into the paint to make sure it sticks.
  4. I like the texture and effect of the glitter, but if you want it to last longer than a day you may want to apply a top coat.
When using glitter, I always put a piece of paper underneath the nail I am working on, to catch the leftover glitter so I can use it again instead of wasting it.

Have you used loose glitter or striping tape before? What are your favourite designs?