Friday, 11 April 2014

Review: April You Beauty Discovery Box

You Beauty Discovery is a beauty box I has never seen reviewed before, I didn't know it existed until I saw a post on the Benefit Facebook page about their collaboration on a limited edition box of Benefit beauty samples. (Yep, I've ordered that too and I can't wait for it to arrive!)






You Beauty is different to other beauty boxes in a couple of ways.

First of all, it is cheaper and smaller - you receive 2 deluxe samples, a bonus sample and a tasty treat for £6.95 a month.

Secondly, you have much more control over the products you receive in your box. Every month You Beauty pick a variety of different products they think are great and then ask you to select two products you want to receive.

This month there was a choice of the following:

·  Steamcream Naturally Effective Moisturiser
·  Melvita Moisture-Replenishing Night Nectar
·  Melvita Ultra-Nourishing Cream
·  Inika Mineral Eyeshadow 
·  Green People Vita Min Fix 24-Hour Cream
·  Fom London Body Contouring Serum
·  Essential Care Creamy Coconut Cleanser
·  Dr.Organic Organic Dead Sea Mineral Eye Rescue Rollerball
·  Clayspray Glow Red Clay With Cacao Masque
·  Clayspray Brightening White Clay With Ginseng Masque

When I saw the list, a few things immediately jumped out at me. I've heard that Steamcream is a great moisturiser so I wanted to try that, but it was so popular they were already out of stock :( Same deal with the Dr. Organic Rollerball. Eventually I decided upon the Inika Mineral eyeshadow and Green People moisturising cream.

Inika Mineral Eyeshadow in Gunmetal

£14.50 from Inika

This is the eyeshadow I will compare all future mineral eyeshadows too. It is the eyeshadow I have dreamed of for years. Can you tell yet that I absolutely adore this product?
.
The colour is a gorgeous opulent silver/grey with hints of dark purple and black which blends easily which is perfect for creating a smokey eye effect. If you wet this eyeshadow it turns shimmery, shiny and metallic. It is highly pigmented and lasts all day, even without a primer. I am in love with the iridescent effect of this eyeshadow and I know I will get so much use out of this, especially as it can also works well as an eyeliner.

I am so pleased I received this product because I wouldn't normally pay nearly £15 for an eyeshadow, especially from a brand I knew nothing about, but now I am already planning which colours to buy next.

With flash / without flash.
Photos can't really do this eyeshadow justice as they can't fully capture the iridescent effect and hints of other colours, but you can see the metallic effect which gives it the name "gun metal".

After reading about Inika on the company website I am impressed with the passion and dedication if it's founder (a beautiful lady called Miranda) who worked hard to create a line of products free from potentially harmful synthetic chemicals, containing only natural and organic ingredients.

Green People Vita Min Fix 24-Hour Cream

25ml worth £8. Costs £16 for full size 50ml from Green People

Another company that uses organic, natural ingredients, Green People seems to be popping up in all the beauty boxes lately, perhaps this suggests this will be a brand to watch.

This moisturiser claims to be full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that will soothe and revitalise the skin. I am somewhat skeptical of all the lotions and potions that claim to reverse aging and smooth wrinkles because I think it is what is happening inside the body that has a greater effect on the condition of an individual's skin. However, that being said, I do like the lightness of this cream, the delicate scent and how soft my skin feels afterwards so even if it won't make skin look younger, it does have some nice effects,

The Organic Pharmacy Antioxidant Face Cream

Costs £40 for 50ml from The Organic Pharmacy


Moisturisers aren't my favourite thing to receive in beauty boxes, I much prefer makeup. I'm a bit fed up of face creams now. This was one tiny sample, but since it is just a free extra bonus I can't complain. This cream smells nice and absorbs easily, I would have to use it for longer to find out more.

Overall

I really like the concept of this beauty box - being able to choose the two products is great. Next month, I will make my choice sooner before some products are out of stock. This month, I adored the Inika mineral eyeshadow and quite liked the Green People moisturising but wasn't blown away by the face cream and didn't like the taste of the fruity 9 bar. However, as the products I received were worth over £30 in value and I only paid £6.95  I am very pleased!

Have you tried this beauty box? How does it compare to others?