Saturday, 24 May 2014

Review: May Glossybox - Superdrug 50th Anniversary

For weeks Glossybox has been dropping hints about a big collaboration for the May box, getting everyone excited because collaboration boxes are usually awesome! 

When I heard Superdrug was the collaborator, I was surprised at first but then I realised just how iconic a retailer Superdrug is; for me, and maybe a lot of you too, Superdrug was the place where I bought my first pieces of makeup and is still a shop I can't walk past without having a little browse.


So let's see what Superdrug has picked out for us this month:
5 full size products + 2 samples, which is always nice.



Solait Illuminating Facial Bronzing Cream

£2.99 for 100ml

Fake tan is not something I use very often, though I can understand why it would be included in a May box as people are getting ready for summer. It claims to give your make your skin look radiant with a luminous glow. I'm even more wary of using fake tan on my face incase it turns our orange and can't be hidden, so we'll see if I'm ever brave enough to use it.

B.Quick One Coat Professional Finish Nail Polish - Precious

£4.99 

Ah, of all the colours available... I really really do not like this, it's a shimmery copper/brown which I can't see myself wearing often. I haven't hear of B.Quick so it will be nice to see what the formula of their polish is like and the shape of the brush.

I Love Strawberries & Milkshake Shimmer & Shine Lip Gloss


£1.29

Ok, now I know I've had a bit of a moan about each product so far, but this is just not the quality of product I expect in a box that is supposed to be about sampling luxury brands. It smells quite pleasant, but it is the sort of thing I would have bought when I was 12.

L'Oreal Paris Volume Million Lashes Mascara


£10.99

Ok, things are starting to look up! Maybe this mascara will make up for the other less interesting products.  I love a good mascara, and this ones looks pretty nice. The special Millionizer brush is made up of lots and lots of bristles which promise to give a "fanned out lash effect".

Large Doughnut Ring


£3.99

This is quite different to the products normally found in a Glossybox and it is nice to receive something which can be kept instead of a sample which will be used up. I like doughnut buns, although I do usually use a larger size, but they did send the right colour for my hair so I am pleased. :)

Garnier Ultimate Beauty Oil Lotion


This lotion contains Argan, Macademia, Almond & Rose oils to nourish skin. I've tried a sample before and liked it, this has reminded me how nice it was.

Ghost - Eclipse


This is a nice little extra touch to an already pretty full box. This has a nice warm fruity scent. I like perfume samples because the tiny bottles are so handy to keep in a handbag.


Overall Opinion

Overall value approx £25.

I was excited when I was told to expect full sizes, but some of these products were disappointing, especially the lipgloss and self tan. They seemed quite cheap, when I would rather try smaller samples of luxury products to see if I like them enough to buy. From looking at other blogs it seems like there was a lot of variation in products received this month, with some people receiving boxes worth more than £40. I used my Glossydots to get this box, if I had paid I would be more disappointed. So, this will be my last Glossybox for a while and I've signed up to Birchbox instead, which has some fantastic reviews.

What did you think of the May Glossybox?